ealert-iconTAX E-ALERTS

Wisconsin's Child Tax Rebate

May 8, 2018

Due to the strong economy and sound fiscal management, Wisconsin is looking to share a portion of the state budget surplus by offering a $100 sales tax rebate for the cost of raising your child during 2017.  If you claimed a qualifying child as a dependent on your 2017 tax return, you will need to act quickly as there is a short window of time applications for the rebate can be made.    

All you need to do is apply for the rebate between May 15, 2018 and July 2, 2018 at childtaxrebate.wi.gov.  You may also call 608-266-KIDS, Monday through Friday 7:45am – 4:30pm to make a claim.

Who qualifies?

Individuals with a qualifying dependent on their 2017 Wisconsin individual income tax return may apply for a $100 rebate for each qualified child.  A dependent claimed on your tax return is considered a qualified child if they:

  • Are under age 18 as of December 31, 2017
  • Were a Wisconsin resident as of December 31, 2017, and
  • Are a United States citizen


What do you need to apply?

  • Your social security number and Wisconsin residency for 2017
  • The child’s legal name, social security number, and date of birth
  • A bank routing number and account number for direct deposit


What if I am no longer a resident of Wisconsin?

If you were a part-year resident or a nonresident that has moved from Wisconsin since 2017, you may still be eligible for a rebate, if you can:

  • Prove that your dependent child was a Wisconsin resident as of December 31, 2017, and
  • Submit receipts showing at least $100 of Wisconsin sales or use tax paid in 2017 (not just $100 in purchases), for each child claimed

I've applied, now what?

You will receive a confirmation number allowing you to check on the status of your claim.  The majority of the claims are expected to be processed in about three weeks from the date of application.  Others may take longer, as more information may be needed.  You can check on the status of your rebate by using the “Where’s My Rebate” online service on the www.revenue.wi.gov website.


Your SVA professional is available to assist you with any questions you may have regarding this rebate.